Mechanical Engineer with over 12 years manufacturing engineering experience 5 of which in the medical drug and device manufacturing industry. Earned an MBA and can deliver broad business value to any organization. Analytical, dependable, and dedicated. Proficient in statistically analyzing data and developing useful spreadsheets with macros. Skilled in lean manufacturing and process improvement methodologies such as value stream mapping and six sigma. BD Certified Six Sigma Green Belt and Lean Practitioner. Great interpersonal and communication skills with experience in successfully leading projects in the medical industry.
Professional Work Experience
Staff Engineer (2013 - Present)
- Currently leading a team to transfer manufacturing of antimicrobial foamer soap products to a new contract bottle filler and have expanded my knowledge base of supplier contracts, quality agreements, and regulations regarding the manufacturing and packaging of antiseptic soap solutions. (anticipated savings of $260K)
- Currently leading a team to complete the qualification of an active ingredient from a new API supplier for the CHG based antiseptic soap solutions in surgical scrub and skin prep products. (anticipated savings of $98K)
- Currently leading a plant wide team to ensure all medical device products comply with the new Unique Device Identification (UDI) regulations from the FDA.
- Launched two new scrub products into Australia following Design Verification and Validation processes and gained a better understanding of the Australia medical regulations (TGA regulations).
Plant Engineering Intern Supervisor (2011 - 2013)
- Oversaw and supported the learning process of interns and assessed their growth and performance.
- Provided On-board training to interns and helped them learn and adjust to the company culture.
Manufacturing Engineer (2009 - 2013)
- Managed a packaging film replacement project for the E-Z Scrub product line and developed a strong understanding of FDA drug regulations 21CFR 210 and 211.
- Learned and followed SUPAC guidance to manage and complete projects to scale up the batch size of an antimicrobial soap solution resulting in over $21K savings per year.
- Led a product improvement project and validated a process resulting in a 16% reduction in un-needed product materials saving $185K per year.
- Developed an Excel data collection system to track production trends and provide data so that evidence based decisions can be made in determining engineering projects.
- Certified Lean Practitioner and facilitator of multiple project kick-off planning sessions and facilitator of level 1 and level 2 root cause analysis sessions.
- Completed Six-Sigma Green Belt certification by leading a project that reduced downtime of production equipment by 71% and saved $18K per year.
MOXTEK Inc. - Leading supplier of key X-Ray analysis components to OEM companies.
Process Engineer (2002 - 2009)
- Led six sigma projects, one of which increased yields by 28% and saved considerable costs.
- Led a project that streamlined a process using lean manufacturing principles and significantly reduced production cycle time.
- Statistically analyzed data using Excel and JMP to determine process control levels so that preventative actions could be taken to keep processes up and running.
- Effectively communicated with customers, vendors, and coworkers to develop product specifications and improve product quality and overall customer satisfaction.
- Used 3D cad programs to designed equipment and fixturing to enhance process repeatability and increase process efficiencies.
Thatcher Chemical - Leading chemical manufacturer and distributor.
Intern (Summer of 1999)
- Analyzed and determined properties of expired, unlabeled and misplaced chemicals through NMR spectroscopy and other chemical analysis methods and implemented proper disposal procedures for the chemicals.
Brigham Young University
- MBA 2009
- BS Mechanical Engineering 2002
Other Skills and Background Information
- Proficient in multiple 3D Cad Programs (SolidWorks, Pro-E)
- Microsoft Office including Excel, Project, Visio, and Access
- Proficient in various semiconductor processes including chemical vapor deposition (CVD), thin film spin coatings, photolithography and silicon etching.
- Community Service Rendered – LDS religious representative for 2 years in a Spanish speaking mission, Youth leader and counselor, Scout master, and Cub master.
- Affiliations/Awards/Hobbies - "Best Analysis" accolade for capstone project in MBA graduating class, Eagle Scout, 3 time Alonzo Stagg Award recipient (50mile endurance race), Rock climbing, Mountain biking